Students in our Master’s in Education program have one crucial thing in common: they are experienced educators following His call to teach — to guide and shape young minds, and to nurture potential into reality. Like you, it’s a mission we take seriously at CIU Online.
Through a rigorous online curriculum, you’ll learn to take your teaching degree to the next level as a forward-thinking educational leader, studying one of two track options: educational administration or instruction and learning.
What You’ll Learn
Regardless of which track you decide to pursue, you will gain a foundation in educational leadership skills such as these:
- Applying biblical educational theories to effective teaching, analysis, and content-design strategies, as well as the ability to articulate those theories and principles and how they inform education
- Techniques for Christian educational research, problem solving, and assessment, and for fostering a nurturing school culture, including consideration of cultural differences within the community
- Methods of collaborating and communicating with other professionals and the community, creating a climate conducive to spiritual transformation within the school setting, and being a lifelong learner
How Long It Will Take
2 to 4 years
What Can I Do with This Degree?
Your Master’s in Education will prepare you to do what you do best: teach and lead in a variety of Christian educational settings.
- K–12 Teaching: Schools in the United States and abroad have a need for Christians who are prepared and called to teach in public schools, private schools, charter schools, Christian schools and international schools.
- Leadership Positions in Christian Schools: Schools in the United States and around the world need lead teachers, principals, and superintendents.
- Academic Careers: Prepare for further graduate work, especially a Ph.D. in education or a related discipline, leading to teaching and research positions at the college and university level.
Why Earn an M.Ed. at CIU Online?
- Highly engaged, collaborative online classes that use real-life case studies to help students develop familiarity with educational issues and practice addressing them
- Courses designed with the Christian educator in mind, taught by professors with experience in the subjects they teach
- Faculty and staff who are dedicated to getting to know you and providing both academic and spiritual support and guidance
- An M.Ed. program in line with the certification requirements of the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU APPLY
- Online application
- $25 application fee
- Applicants must have an accredited bachelor's degree
- Official college transcripts of all work completed or in progress.
- An essay
- Church leader reference
- Signed Doctrinal Statement
- 2.7 GPA for recent degree obtained
- Official GRE test scores above the 50th percentile (verbal and quantitative) and a minimun of 3.5 on the analytical section
- Previous experience in education as verified by one of the following: two years classroom experience, a current teaching certificate, an undergraduate degree in education and a minimum of two years in educational administration. *A limited number of students without one of these experiences who otherwise meet the requirements and display exceptional leadership qualities may be accepted on specific coursework and leadership recommendations.
Program Options That Fit Your Interests
We offer two program tracks. Educational Administration focuses on educational management and strategic planning and development. Instruction and Learning focuses on instructional concepts, strategies, and content design.
What You Need to Know Before You Apply
You can find information about admissions requirements, policies, and time limitations of the program in our academic catalog.