The Care and Counseling program is for those who want to teach, train, and counsel in a variety of communities and contexts. If that’s you—seeking to help people understand themselves, others, life, and the world from God’s perspective—you’ll be at home in the MA in Care and Counseling.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Provide wholistic short-term care that addresses all dimensions of personhood
- Use theological and evidence-based counseling skills
- Care for the emotional and spiritual needs of others
HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE
Three years, although you may finish sooner with transfer credit and/or by testing out of selected courses
WHAT CAN I DO WITH THIS DEGREE?
Care and Counseling students come from a variety of professions and walks of life, seeking to help others address emotional, behavioral, interpersonal, and spiritual needs. The degree teaches the professional and practical knowledge and skills you will need to serve others in a variety of roles.
- Local Church Ministry: Serving as a member of a church staff, a pastoral care and counseling team, or a family life team
- Local Community Ministry: Serving in a community-based organization that offers short-term counseling and support groups
- Cross-Cultural Ministry: Providing training and counseling services in a cross-cultural setting
- Mission Care Ministry: Providing support services for a missionary team or agency
WHY STUDY CARE AND COUNSELING AT CIU ONLINE?
- Highly engaged, hands-on online classes with students from all over the world
- Caring, scholarly, and experienced faculty who are practitioners of the subjects they teach and who can provide both expert academic support and individualized spiritual guidance
- Intentional integration of Bible knowledge, spiritual formation, and ministry skill development
- Mentored field experience built into the curriculum
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU APPLY
- Online application
- $25 application fee
- Applicants must have an accredited bachelor's degree
- Official college transcripts of all work completed or in progress.
- An essay
- Church leader reference
- Signed Doctrinal Statement
PROGRAM OPTIONS THAT FIT YOUR EXPERIENCE LEVEL
We offer two program tracks, one for students with no previous studies in Bible or theology, and one for students who have at least 30 semester hours of Bible, theology, or Church history.